Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Blog Assignment #4

     The first blog I selected to read was 1st Graders Create Own Read Along Book. I was skeptical at first because I have seen things like this before and it seems to be the teacher doing all of the work. Except in this case the students did a lot! I was impressed when I saw how the students, being so young, were really into it and absorbing the skills it takes to complete such a technological project. I especially enjoyed reading about the students eagerness to re-record to make their voices "better". They were toning in on their reading skills by learning how to make the story sound more exciting. Reading is a lost enjoyment in our children's generation and if we can make it fun for them they will soon realize what an amazing world is at their fingertips when cracking open a good book.

     For my second choice, I chose the Flat Stanley Podcast. Right of the bat it was clear that Ms. Tolisano's purpose for having her students do podcasts was not just for the entertainment of her kids, but to really teach them skills in the world of technology. I commend her for doing so, because as I have stated in previous blog postings I really feel that it is important that our children become experts at technology. When they grow up and enter the working world computers, mp3 players, and all of the Apple products will be even more advanced and useful. I worry that if they are not taught by someone with the same mindset as Ms. Tolisano then they will suffer when they are adults standing in the unemployment line because they are not experienced enough with the present technology.


     My final pick out of the list of blogs or podcasts to choose from wasThe Benefits of Podcasting in the Classroom. I found this blog to be interesting in a different way than my first two selections. What's different is that the author, Joe Dale, sees it in a variety of point of views. He lists many reasons why having podcasts in the classroom can be beneficial, but I specifically respected three of his comments. Those being: " parents can see and hear what their children are doing at school", "it can offer distance learning opportunities for absent students", and "it promotes creativity and innovation". These particular reasons struck me because they are from the point of views of the parent, student, and an average person. He doesn't just view this opportunity as a form of subject matter as some teachers can do at times, he views it as progress all across the board from the student's home life to the well-being and character growth of the child.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Lacie,

    Progress all across the board sounds wonderful to me! i think that if everyone takes an interest in education and not just to gripe about it, then we'll be headed in the right direction. With teachers like Ms. Tolisano and Mr. Dale, education will be revamped before we know it. But we have to be willing to collaborate and learn new things as well as try them in the classroom.

    Your image doesn't appear to have a proper title tag. You might want to check that out. I'll be in the lab all day tomorrow if you need any help.

    ReplyDelete