Sunday, February 19, 2012

Blog Assignment 4

    While watching the video clip The benefits of podcasting in the classroom I came to agree mostly with three of his points. First, he states that podcasts in the classroom  "promotes creativity and innovation". I couldn't agree more with this statement. When I chose this video to watch as part of the assignment I wasn't really sold on the idea of podcasts being used for educational purposes. But, when he combined education with creativity through podcasts he had me hooked. I am a sucker for progressing the arts and freedom of imagination in students and with podcasts students can master their creative talents right here on the computer.
    Second, he brought up the issue of absences. Which is something I had never thought of but then struck with doubt when the thought did in fact hit me that students would be missing important aspects of learning when they are absent. Yet, once again calmed by the idea of podcasts containing lessons and homework assignments for students who are unable to attend class that day.
    Lastly, the idea of keeping parents clued is amazing. Most parents are so stressed out with there full-time jobs that they become consumed with work and have no clue what is being taught to their children in their schools. With podcasts, parents can review the teachers lessons and stay involved in their child's education.

    I browsed the site 100 Ways to Use Your iPod to Learn and Study Better and was blown away by all the different resources that are now available to people through their iPods. My favorite two resources were "The Education Podcast Network" and the "BiblePlayer for iPod 1.1".  I enjoyed learning about these two particular sites because they are both programs I would use in my every day life. I can picture myself working out at the gym or on a run around the neighborhood while listening to different books of the Bible. Also, I could listen to a tutorial on my history or biology class while I walk to class, and feel more prepared to learn and absorb information on that subject during the school day.

    I very much enjoyed reading the blog Podcasting with First Graders by: Langwitches for a few different reasons. First off, I automatically could relate to the Magic Treehouse books the first graders read as a class. I used to read that series all the time when I was little. Also, I enjoyed the thought of young students excited about reading! Although I must say I was originally concerned that the technology would be over their heads, but then again I thought this class would be over my head as well. My final encouragement from this blog was that when the students heard their finished products, the story going along with music and sound effects, it has potential to set ideas in the students heads about being creative writers or future authors. The idea of podcasts in the classroom of students so young really can improve our education system in the future.

2 comments: